A Sky Wonderful with Stars: 50 Years of Modern Astronomy on Maunakea tells the fascinating story of how a remote mountaintop in the middle of the Pacific Ocean became home to the most powerful collection of telescopes in the world. It is a tale of triumphs, failures, and the indomitable human spirit of exploration. Over 160 superb photographs accompanied by astronomer Michael J. West’s engaging commentary bring the past and present to life and showcase the many remarkable discoveries made by the observatories atop Maunakea.
Breathtaking photo-essays throughout the book reveal
• Maunakea’s spectacular landscape and the unique geographical conditions that make it the world’s premier site for astronomical exploration;
• the construction and development of the Maunakea observatories;
• highlights of scientific discoveries made with each of the thirteen telescopes;
• the faces and places that make up Maunakea’s diverse astronomical community; and
• a look toward the future of astronomy on Maunakea, including the planned Thirty Meter Telescope.
This visually stunning book shares with a larger audience the wondrous views of the heavens that the observatories provide. It will appeal not only to those with an interest in astronomy, but to anyone who marvels at the grand splendor of our universe.
- Publisher : Latitude 20; Illustrated edition (July 31, 2015)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 216 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0824852680
- ISBN-13 : 978-0824852689
- Dimensions : 11.32 x 0.67 x 10.8 inches